- Curriculum Provider:
- American Academy of Family Physicians
- Certification Duration:
- 5 Years
- Course Format:
- Classroom Lecture, Small Group Learning Stations, Practical Testing Scenarios and Written Exam.
The ALSO training program combines evidence-based hands-on simulation training with multidisciplinary team-based approaches to enable better management obstetric emergencies. Small group workstations, minimal lecture time, and low faculty-to-participant ratios benefit both learners and course sponsors that seek to provide high-quality educational experiences. Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics (ALSO®) is an evidence-based multidisciplinary training program that prepares maternity health care providers to better manage obstetric emergencies. ALSO's evidence-based learning path bridges knowledge gaps and boosts skill sets using a team-based approach, hands-on training, and mnemonics to reduce errors and save lives. Facilitated by ALSO Approved Instructors, participants attending an ALSO Certification Course learn practical, team-based approaches to managing emergency situations, including postpartum hemorrhage, shoulder dystocia, and pre-eclampsia. And although labor and delivery room emergency care is the main focus of the program, the ALSO curriculum further addresses preventive care and practice concerns, such as:
- First-trimester complications
- Helping parents cope with a birth crisis
- Diagnostic ultrasound
This two-day course is geared to all maternity care providers, including physicians, residents, nurse midwives, registered nurses, and other clinicians. With pre-course syllabus reading and minimal lecture time, this course offers an interactive learning environment utilizing pelvic mannequins and other appropriate medical equipment. Successful completion of this course awards ALSO Provider status for five years. At the successful completion of the ALSO Provider Course, participants should be able to:
- Discuss methods of managing pregnancy and birth emergencies, which may help standardize the skills of practicing maternity care providers.
- Demonstrate content and skill acquisition as demonstrated by successful completion of the course written exam and megadelivery testing station.