- Curriculum Provider:
- The Laurelwood Group
- Certification Duration:
- N/A - 14 CE Contact Hours
- Course Format:
- Classroom Lecture, Small Group Learning Stations, Practical Testing Scenarios and Written Exam.
Through instruction and advocacy, the mission of TCAR Education Programs is to expand the knowledge base and clinical reasoning skills of nurses who work with injured patients in the post-resuscitation phase of care. By partnering with trauma centers and trauma systems, TCAR Education Programs provides adult and pediatric inpatient nurses an outstanding learning experience designed to meet educational goals, improve patient outcomes, and fulfill regulatory requirements.
Unlike standardized trauma programs targeted at prehospital and emergency care providers, the Trauma Care After Resuscitation (TCAR) and Pediatric Care After Resuscitation (PCAR) courses were specifically created to meet the learning needs of INPATIENT trauma nurses. These live, 2-day educational offerings give inpatient staff members the foundational, evidence-based information and critical thinking skills necessary to meet regulatory requirements and provide excellent care to this challenging patient population.
An introduction to basic topics relevant to the nursing care of the hospitalized trauma patient:
- The trauma care spectrum
- The biomechanics of trauma
- The body's response to injury
Each module introduces specific trauma care concepts including pathophysiology, patient assessment, and complications. Surgical, medical, and nursing management options and outcome criteria are introduced while analyzing patients with:
- Thoracic injury
- Abdominal injury
- Musculoskeletal injury
- Craniocerebral injury
- Spine and spinal cord injury
- Incorporate injury biomechanics information
- Analyze clinical assessment data
- Suggest appropriate care interventions
- Identify individuals at risk for deterioration
- Prevent, recognize, and manage complications
- Understand current trends and issues in trauma patient care
- Predict each patient’s care trajectory
- Set realistic goals and evaluate outcomes
And TCAR Education Program’s classes (TCAR and PCAR) are the only nationwide, standardized courses specifically designed to meet the learning needs of nurses who practice at any point along the trauma care continuum.
This makes TCAR and PCAR excellent courses to prepare for taking the TCRN exam!